10 June, 2010

One week!

Wooo it's been one week since i left! Amazing.

We had the fortune of mucking out the top pastures yesterday for 3.5hrs! hahaha it may sound bad, but it's actually quite good work. I was in a team with Jodi (Coordinator), Allison (program councellor), and half of the other councellors - Katie, Aaron, Julie and Emma. We managed to completely clear about 7ish acres of manure - of which there was LOTS cos of 30 horses and no one had mucked since spring started.

I'm going to be taught how to drive the ATV too! woo :)

Past two days has been freeeeezing and it's currently 6am-ish and very foggy - i can't even see the lake. It's not too bad though i am managing with a skimpy hoodie and my school jersey until my Camp America hoodie turns up. Hopefully today too *crosses fingers*.

Just some general information about the area - Connecticut seems to be a state where many rich New Yorkers have a holiday home, so houses are massive white wood, so neat, beautiful gardens and clipped lawns. On the corner of the Camp Jewell property is a house that is on the national heritage list - and it's owned by the Bacardi family (as in, the founders of Bacardi Rum)!! Also, Meryl streep lives "somewhere" close by to camp too. How cool. Imagine if i saw her down in little Winsted or something hahaha!

So today because it's due to be rainy again, etc. we have been given from 12pm off today. That's exciting cos i think we're planning on going out to some city/town thing in Massachusets for dinner which will be fun.

We also have an overnight horse riding camp planned for some time next week which i am looking forward to. Apparently we cook our dins in the fire, then have lots of marshmallows, hersheys and graham crackers to make S'mores after. Our coordinator, Jodi, is luckily IN LOVE with candy and chocolate so we are well catered for. She is also super nice!

Anyway you'lll here more about that later. I'm off! MUCH love to all back home, and my dear little kit-kats.

E

2 comments:

  1. Your dear little kit kats are running around crazily because they see their travelling baskets have been brought in from the store room! I want to keep them relaxed and pop them into the baskets just before Max from the pet motel arrives to take them away for their short holiday. Niobe is deeply suspicious of my behaviour! Looking forward to flying up for Dee's birthday later today. Dad was in Nambour last night for work so he will just meet me at the airport. Perhaps your team could come and clean up our paddocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I can imagine Niobe being deeply suspicious. Yesterday I went to the RSPCA and they had chinchilla cats for only $80! However they weren't suitable for a cat home because they'd had the flu. :(
    It sounds like you have some good rewards planned e.
    Today I may be eating duck for dinner and having a rare night of peace as Lukas' mum is taking him for the night... phew.
    Going to watch some tv and maybe catch up on some iview... See what nigella's been up to...
    It's about that cold here too actually. My fingers are freezing. I don't feel very well today and I have a headache and sore tummy. I still have to negotiate further with the uni too, so wish me good luck and I'll pop off and call them.
    I send Aunty Dee a letter by the way and I enclosed that felted egg cover!! ahaha I hope she likes it!

    ReplyDelete