26 June, 2010

last day of freedom

Had a completely action-packed week thanks to the start of main-staff training at camp. I'll just give you a brief summary:

  • swim tests
  • Several "lost person" drills, searching the lake
  • Opening campfire - we did a skit from Saturday Night Live, "What up with that?"
  • training, training, training
  • Chilli at Jodi's house (realllllllly delicious, with cornbread (a first for me) too!)
  • Dessert cook-off over a fire - me and emma and aaron made 'no-bake cookies' which were YUM, plus had banana boats and a slightly, err, different pineapple upside-down cake
  • The "really lost person" drill, running around camp looking for Hobbs, the tiger (who was moonlighting as our lost person)
  • International banquet dinner - really delicious, but aparently a traditional Australian meal is Pork with coffee and port sauce? (maybe it is? maybe it isn't...?)
  • Got  a host family! I'm sharing with emma and we have an awesome family who have worked/are working at camp jewell - the father is Australian! so refreshing to talk to another Aussie. :) They also got us a cool crate full of stuff to help entertain kids!
  • Closing campfire - singing, war cries, skits, earnt myself a ranch neckerchief, hung out :)

Tomorrow the kids arrive! Feeling very excited, a little nervous, but looking forward to it. My next day off is Thursday (that's Friday to you... Aussies...) so i may not get a chance to email, blog, etc. until then. please still send me emails etc. though :)

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear your news E - a mix of work and lots of fun - Despite living all my life in Aus, I was unaware of our port/coffee etc connection. But that's OK we do eat pork - probably we eat more beef and lamb though traditionally. Anyway keep up the good work. Lots of love the folks back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news! Was it really a tiger??
    I guess not!
    Hopefully you don't need to find too many lost people.
    Have fun and hope the kids are good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine this is a stuffed tiger - just like Calvin in the comic strip has!

    ReplyDelete