10 May, 2010

twenty-four days before

You can’t know better until knowing better is useless.
This is something very important which I picked up from the book Looking for Alaska, by John Green. In retrospect of many events in our lives, we often lament over not knowing better. How often the phrases “If only i knew...” or “If only i had known better...” are hopelessly repeated. It is when you accept that you can’t know better - and contemplate that even if you did know better; would you really be better off? - that you can be free to move on.
I have found this particularly relevant since developing carpal tunnel syndrome, and then proceeding with surgery. That in itself didn’t cause me too much grief, but after 3 months of non-recovery post-operation, these things seem to get to you.
Through this time I have remained adamant that I should not feel regret or despair over this temporary disability. And I truly believe that. It is one of the things I have kept as a steadfast belief and it helps my healing.
These challenges concentrate your wants, desires and ultimate questions in life. I always imagined myself going to university and working in some high-paid law job, or at least something highly paid. That, of course, I still intend to happen. However, how I go about making it happen has changed. The things I love and ultimately enjoy are some of the simplest things. Cooking. Gardening. Travelling.
And so it is these things which I will aim for in life. And these are the things which I will make work for me.
Here’s to travelling…

No comments:

Post a Comment