23 May, 2010

ten days before

Okay so things really seem to be coming together now. Slowly getting to know some people from around the world - Ireland, UK, Germany, America (of course) - in preparation for camp.

I know it's only ten days away but because I am pretty much doing nothing at home I half wish it'd come quicker. At least writing in this takes up (a little) time.

I'll share with you the success of hand-making pasta, which I have done quite recently. I don't use a recipe, but only because it is so basic that you can tell by feel whether it is ready or not. I had a couple cups of flour to about 3 eggs. Combine to make a dough. Knead for 10 minutes. Put in fridge for an hour.

After an hour you can take it out and start rolling the sheets in the pasta maker. The easter bunny this year gave me a special Italian one, so i have quite a lot of fun.



I made Kangaroo Meatball Spaghetti, with Homemade Passata (basically an Italian tomato sauce)

For the Passata:

About 500g home-grown tiny tim tomatoes
1 sweet chili
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, diced
1/4 red wine
small amount fresh basil


Saute the garlic, chili and onion in olive oil in a small saucepan until translucent and lightly colouring. Add tomatoes, wine and basil  and cook with lid on for about 10 minutes. Blitz in a food processor till smooth. Pass through a sieve to remove seeds and skin.

I added the chili just to add a touch of heat, another element, but it's not traditionally used.


For the Meatballs:

about 300g Kangaroo mince
breadcumbs
1 egg
basil

Combine all ingredient. Make into small balls. Don't handle them too much!


To bring it all together, cook the pasta (about 10ish minutes) in boiling water with a drop of oil. Fry meatballs (i shallow fried) until brown and cooked, then pour passata over top and cook for another 10mins.

Serve meatballs and sauce on a bed of pasta, garnish with a sprig of basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment