04 October, 2010

the rest of canada...

Alright so obviously i got a little stuck in the writing-about-canada process. honestly, time just seems to fly by sometimes and by the time i get back to my dwellings for the night i am beyond exhausted and just want to settle in for a cup of tea and maybe a little sit in bed with something to read.

But! Let me briefly tell you the rest of what happened in canada:
In Algonquin park it was getting was really getting cold and we were now in full bear-country, so had to bear-proof the campsite that evening. The next morning was canoing in Lake Opeongo, with my awesome english friends Vikki and Shona in my canoe, and then a 7.7km hike around another lake to the top of a mountain to a beautiful view of the colour-changing leaves and the undisturbed canadian wilderness.






The next day was a nice early wake-up call (5.15am or something???) so that we could get to our white-water rafting by 9am. Needless to say, they had no wetsuits to fit me, so i was wearing something far too baggy and couldn't even find my swimsuit to wear under it. And it was freezing. And it was raining.

However i had immense fun, even though it was cold and i couldn't feel my hands. It was also very beautiful country by the riverbanks. We camped under a giant shed that night and had a big party, as there was a little pub at the place where we were staying. This is the river, the next morning:



Next up! Ottowa where i tried a "beaver tail" (fried dough with a topping... cinnamon & apple or chocolate & banana or something like that) and wandered around the markets. I also saw my first groundhog! how quaint.

The next day was bungee-jumping outside Ottowa and on to Montreal. Now yes, i will admit i was seriously considering doing it. I even said to Ann, our trek leader, that if she did it i would do it (she did it). but... when i got there, it was MASSIVE and over a big waterhole, and i thought to myself, do i really want to spend $110 to hurt to myself or something equally as bad? So no, i didn't do it, but had a lot of fun watching the 4 who did want to, and considering it was never one of my great ambitions i left with the attitude that atleast i have an extra $110 to spend on buying things for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment